October 6 @ 9:00 am – 3:30 pm
A Year of Writing Minilessons in Grades K-3
Learn how to use writing minilessons for your students in grades K-3.
In this 2-day training, learn how to use Writing Minilessons: Your Every Day Guide for Literacy Teaching by Fountas & Pinnell to provide high quality lessons in management, craft, conventions and writing process.
Register to participate in-person at Lesley University or virtually!
- Classroom Teachers, Interventionists & Specialists
- Literacy Coaches & Teacher Leaders
- District & School Leadership
- $595 + cost of the required Writing Minilessons Book in one grade level (K, 1, 2, or 3)
- $695 (includes required text)
- The Writing Minilessons Book will be available for purchase upon registration
- Literacy Collaborative Affiliation Discount available
Learn how to use The Writing Minilessons Book by Irene Fountas & Gay Su Pinnell to deepen your children’s knowledge of writing and the writing process through short, explicit writing minilessons. Engage your students in inquiry that leads to discovery and understanding of essential principles students need as writers. You will gain knowledge and practical tools to teach writing using high quality mentor texts. Through engaging lessons and daily opportunities to apply new understandings, your children will discover the joy of communicating through writing and learn how to write with enthusiasm and confidence.
- Management of the Writer’s Workshop
- Elements of effective writing minilessons to teach for craft, conventions, and writing process
- Using mentor texts with students to support active, constructive learning
- The role of shared and interactive writing in developing children’s understandings of the writing process
- The importance of making books
- Building students’ stamina for writing
- Assessing and planning for instruction
- Teaching responsively linking the Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum to The Writing Minilessons Book
You are required to have your own copy of The Writing Minilessons Book for one grade level (Kindergarten, Grade 1, Grade 2 or Grade 3). Please visit the Requirements & Policies tab for details about this required text.
You will earn 12 professional development hours in this training.
Courtney Varner Lorden, Literacy Trainer
Courtney’s educational career started in Fairfax County Public Schools, VA where she taught in 1st and 2nd grade, was a Reading Recovery teacher, and a literacy coach. In addition, Courtney is certified as a Literacy Collaborative Intermediate Coach.
Gen Arcovio, Literacy Trainer
Gen worked as a literacy specialist and teacher in public schools for many years before joining the Center for Reading Recovery and Literacy Collaborative as a Literacy Trainer. She has experience as a Reading Recovery teacher, classroom teacher, interventionist, and literacy coach. Over the years, she has worked with many students, educators, and administrators in the area of literacy acquisition and learning.
COVID-19 Protocols for In-Person Attendees
- You must be must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- You must submit a COVID Self-Assessment Visitor Form (click for form) no more than 48 hours before the first day of training. Please note, this form must be submitted before each new visit to campus.
- Lesley University no longer requires that participants submit a negative PCR result before attending an on-campus event. If possible, please complete a rapid test before coming to campus.
- If you are feeling sick or symptomatic, please stay home and email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu to switch your registration to virtual.
- Masks are recommended indoors, but not required.
- Adhere to Lesley University’s COVID-19 protocols (click for more information).
Email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu if you have questions.
You must have individual access to one of the Writing Minilessons Books below and be able to use this book on your own during the two days of professional development.
- The Fountas & Pinnell Writing Minilessons Book for Kindergarten
- The Fountas & Pinnell Writing Minilessons Book for Grade 1
- The Fountas & Pinnell Writing Minilessons Book for Grade 2
- The Fountas & Pinnell Writing Minilessons Book for Grade 3
Don’t have this book yet? You will have the option to purchase the book when you register for this training. If you choose to purchase the book on your own, click here. Email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu if you have questions.
Cancellation Deadline & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing two weeks before the start of the course to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email CRRLC@lesley.edu to cancel. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute at any time. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Registration Deadline & Shipping Policies
The registration portal closes two business days before the first day of training to allow the minimum amount of time to ship training materials.
Requirements for Participation
After the training, you will receive a certificate of attendance for your participation. To receive a complete certificate, participation during the specified times is required. Additional work may be assigned to meet the professional development hours.
With Your Colleagues Option
We can deliver this training to your school/district. This option can be delivered virtually or in-person for a group within your school/district.
Fees & Policies
- Fees are determined by the number of participants and the duration of training.
- If applicable, travel expenses for each trainer (airfare, hotel, meals, and rental car) are an additional cost to be paid by the district.
- Professional development sessions that require extensive travel or overnight stays (if applicable) may incur an additional surcharge.
- If the number of participants exceeds the maximum, another trainer may be needed. This will increase training costs and travel expenses.
- Unless otherwise noted, fees do not include the cost of any required books or materials. The faculty trainer will consult with the district to select books based on the topics and the district’s needs.
- School districts in the same geographic area participating in the same training may combine their resources to meet participant minimums. Payment must be on one district’s purchase order.
For detailed costs, complete our online form to request this training for your school/district and we will contact you.