- This event has passed.
August 22, 2022 @ 9:00 am – August 23, 2022 @ 3:30 pm
Introduction to Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™
Lead your students to a literate, successful life.
This 2-day training introduces a system for teaching students that creates authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting in all classroom settings.
Register to participate in-person at Lesley University or virtually!
- Classroom Teachers, Interventionists & Specialists
- Literacy Coaches & Teacher Leaders
- District & School Leaders
- Includes professional text (Literacy Quick Guide)
- Literacy Collaborative Affiliation Discount available
The Fountas and Pinnell Classroom™ is a system of providing literacy instruction to students by using a variety of texts and approaches. Developed by Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell, this system is rich with texts, lessons, and professional tools that will transform your approach to literacy instruction.
This 2–day training is designed for individuals and teams of teachers, literacy specialists and school leaders PreK-6 who plan to or are presently implementing Fountas and Pinnell Classroom™.
Expand student learning beyond the classroom. Learn how to teach your students in whole group, small group, and independent contexts using methods that include:
- Interactive Read-Aloud
- Reading Minilessons
- Shared Reading
- Phonics, Spelling, and Word Study
- Guided Reading
- Book Clubs
- Independent Reading
You’ll earn 12 professional development hours in this training.
Courtney Varner Lorden, Literacy Trainer
Courtney’s educational career started in Fairfax County Public Schools, VA where she taught in 1st and 2nd grade, was a Reading Recovery teacher, and a literacy coach. In addition, Courtney is certified as a Literacy Collaborative Intermediate Coach.
COVID-19 Protocols for In-Person Attendees
- You must be must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- You must submit a COVID Self-Assessment Visitor Form (click for form) no more than 48 hours before the first day of training. Please note, this form must be submitted before each new visit to campus.
- Lesley University no longer requires that participants submit a negative PCR result before attending an on-campus event. If possible, please complete a rapid test before coming to campus.
- If you are feeling sick or symptomatic, please stay home and email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu to switch your registration to virtual.
- Masks are recommended indoors, but not required.
- Adhere to Lesley University’s COVID-19 protocols (click for more information).
Email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu if you have questions.
Cancellation Deadline & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing two weeks before the start of the course to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email CRRLC@lesley.edu to cancel. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute at any time. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Registration Deadline & Shipping Policies
The registration portal closes two business days before the first day of training to allow the minimum amount of time to ship training materials.
Requirements for Participation
After the training, you will receive a certificate of attendance for your participation. To receive a complete certificate, participation during the specified times is required. Additional work may be assigned to meet the professional development hours.
With Your Colleagues Option
We can tailor the professional learning on the Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ system to your needs. It can include a combination of interactive read-aloud, reading mini-lessons, shared reading, guided reading, independent reading, word study lessons, and book clubs. Your school team will develop shared understandings and learn to integrate responsive teaching into practice through hands-on learning experiences.
This option can be delivered virtually or in-person for a group within your school/district.
Fees & Policies
- Fees are determined by the number of participants and the duration of training.
- If applicable, travel expenses for each trainer (airfare, hotel, meals, and rental car) are an additional cost to be paid by the district.
- Professional development sessions that require extensive travel or overnight stays (if applicable) may incur an additional surcharge.
- If the number of participants exceeds the maximum, another trainer may be needed. This will increase training costs and travel expenses.
- Unless otherwise noted, fees do not include the cost of any required books or materials. The faculty trainer will consult with the district to select books based on the topics and the district’s needs.
- School districts in the same geographic area participating in the same training may combine their resources to meet participant minimums. Payment must be on one district’s purchase order.
For detailed costs, complete our online form to request this training for your school/district and we will contact you.
Interested in professional learning at your school or district? Schedule a meeting with one of our faculty trainers.
“I needed a complete practical training so that I would be comfortable starting Fountas & Pinnell Classroom. This is one of the most thorough and comprehensive training sessions I have attended. Now I’m able to implement the program with fidelity.”Miranda Reid, Classroom Teacher, Dekalb County School District, Georgia