- This event has passed.
September 19, 2022 @ 9:00 am – September 20, 2022 @ 3:30 pm
Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment Systems 1 & 2 Seminar
Use the Benchmark Assessment System to inform your teaching.
In this 2-day training, learn how to administer, score, and analyze student reading behaviors utilizing the Benchmark Assessment System. Discover how to use the information with the Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum to guide your teaching.
Register to participate in-person at Lesley University or virtually!
- Classroom Teachers, Interventionists & Specialists
- Literacy Coaches & Teacher Leaders
- Literacy Collaborative Affiliation Discount available
The Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System (BAS), developed by Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell, is a series of texts that teachers can use to identify a student’s reading level and comprehension. Teachers use the Benchmark Assessment System 1 with students in grades K–2 and the Benchmark Assessment System 2 for students in grades 3–8.
Through demonstration, guided practice, and discussion, you will learn how to administer, score, and analyze the Benchmark Assessment System and how to use the information to guide teaching.
- Administer, code, and score oral reading behaviors
- Conduct a standardized comprehension conversation
- Determine independent, instructional, and placement levels for readers using the Fountas and Pinnell A–N or L–Z Text Level Gradient
- Analyze a child’s reading performance, including reading comprehension, reading fluency, and word analysis
- Determine the instructional implications for whole-group, small-group, and individual instruction using assessment results and the Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum
- Use the Fountas & Pinnell Online Data Management System for your record keeping
You’ll earn 12 professional development hours in this training.
Heather Rodman, Literacy Trainer
Prior to joining the Center for Reading Recovery and Literacy Collaborative as a Primary Trainer, Heather was a Kindergarten, first, second, third, and fourth grade classroom teacher in Middletown, CT for 16 years. She was also a Primary Literacy Coordinator for five years where she provided literacy training and coaching to K-5 teachers. In addition, she was a member of the Connecticut Department of Education Common Core State Standards Curriculum Design Team for English Language Arts.
COVID-19 Protocols for In-Person Attendees
- You must be must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- You must submit a COVID Self-Assessment Visitor Form (click for form) no more than 48 hours before the first day of training. Please note, this form must be submitted before each new visit to campus.
- Lesley University no longer requires that participants submit a negative PCR result before attending an on-campus event. If possible, please complete a rapid test before coming to campus.
- If you are feeling sick or symptomatic, please stay home and email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu to switch your registration to virtual.
- Masks are recommended indoors, but not required.
- Adhere to Lesley University’s COVID-19 protocols (click for more information).
Email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu if you have questions.
You must have access to the materials found in the Benchmark Assessment Systems 1 or 2. During registration, please specify which edition (3rd or 2nd) you will be able to access.
To learn more or purchase the Benchmark Assessment Systems, click here.
Cancellation Deadline & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing two weeks before the start of the course to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email CRRLC@lesley.edu to cancel. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Registration Deadline & Shipping Policies
The registration portal closes two business days before the first day of training to allow the minimum amount of time to ship additional training materials (if applicable).
If you register within two weeks before the registration portal closes, you may incur additional fees for expedited shipping. You may still experience delays in receiving your materials.
Requirements for Participation
After the training, you will receive a certificate of attendance for your participation. To receive a complete certificate, participation during the specified times is required. Additional work may be assigned to meet the professional development hours.
With Your Colleagues Option
We can tailor the Benchmark Assessment System Training (K-2 or 3-8) to your school/district. Participants in the group must all be using the Benchmark Assessment Systems and have access to their materials prior to the training.
This option can be delivered virtually or in-person for a group within your school/district.
Fees & Policies
- Fees are determined by the number of participants and the duration of training.
- If applicable, travel expenses for each trainer (airfare, hotel, meals, and rental car) are an additional cost to be paid by the district.
- Professional development sessions that require extensive travel or overnight stays (if applicable) may incur an additional surcharge.
- If the number of participants exceeds the maximum, another trainer may be needed. This will increase training costs and travel expenses.
- Unless otherwise noted, fees do not include the cost of any required books or materials. The faculty trainer will consult with the district to select books based on the topics and the district’s needs.
- School districts in the same geographic area participating in the same training may combine their resources to meet participant minimums. Payment must be on one district’s purchase order.
For detailed costs, complete our online form to request this training for your school/district and we will contact you.
Interested in professional learning at your school or district? Schedule a meeting with one of our faculty trainers.
“The strengths of the training were being able to work through the practice readings with my co-workers, and getting live and immediate feedback.”Clayton Brown, Teacher, Boston Public Schools, Massachusetts