May 17, 2021 @ 9:00 am – July 11, 2021 @ 3:30 pm
Word Study: Teaching Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling in Grades K-3
Learn how word study fits into a broader language and literacy framework.
In this 8-week online graduate course for teachers, learn about instruction in phonics, phonological awareness, vocabulary, spelling, and word study for children in grades K-3.
- Classroom Teachers, Interventionists, & Specialists
- Literacy Coaches & Teacher Leaders
- Course Number: EEDUC 6039.80
- Fees are subject to change
Expand your knowledge of the alphabetic principle and how words work. Assess students’ reading and writing for phonics and spelling knowledge in your K–3 classroom. Develop an understanding of the essential elements of a word study curriculum. Use a continuum of word study to plan for instruction.
In this course, you’ll expand your knowledge of how words work and you’ll learn how to support English language learners and students who have difficulty learning to read and write.
By enrolling in an online graduate course, you have the flexibility to learn at your own pace with the support of a virtual community and have access to a variety of educational resources and materials at your convenience.
- Assess your understanding and knowledge of what children need to know about letters, words, and how they work
- Develop a continuum of what children need to know about letters, words, and how they work across grades K-3
- Learn how to plan for the word study/phonics curriculum for the children in your classrooms
- Learn how to administer and analyze a variety of individual and group assessments
- Plan for effective letter and word study centers
- Learn how to integrate phonics and vocabulary study across the literacy curriculum
- Develop a comprehensive system for spelling instruction
- Design effective lessons for explicit “out-of-text” teaching and plan for “in-text” teaching across instructional contexts
You are responsible for purchasing/having access to the following professional texts for this course:
- Blevins, W. (2017). Phonics from A to Z, 3rd editions: A practical guide. NY: Scholastic.
- Pinnell, G.S., & Fountas, I.C. (2017). The Fountas & Pinnell literacy continuum, expanded edition: A tool for assessment, planning and teaching, grades prek-8. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Pinnell, G.S., & Fountas, I.C. (2017). The comprehensive phonics, spelling, and word study guide. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Pinnell, G.S., & Fountas, I.C (2018). Word matters: Teaching phonics and spelling in the reading/writing classroom. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
This option must be taken for 3 graduate credits. Take the course individually or as an elective in our 18-credit Online Graduate Certificate in Developing Literacy Expertise Through Responsive Classroom Teaching.
Interested in professional learning at your school or district? Schedule a meeting with one of our faculty trainers.
“This class was amazing! I have so many tools to take back and use in my classroom. One of the best courses I have ever taken!”Kristeen Chambers, Teacher, Two Rivers Supervisory Union, Vermont