July 27 @ 9:00 am – July 28 @ 3:30 pm
Introduction to Writing Minilessons Grades K-4
Learn how to use Writing Minilessons: Your Every Day Guide For Literacy Coaching for your students in grades K-4.
In this 2-day training, learn how to use Writing Minilessons: Your Every Day Guide for Literacy Teaching by Fountas & Pinnell to provide high quality lessons in management, craft, conventions and writing process.
Register to participate in-person at Lesley University or virtually!
- District & School Leadership
- Literacy Coaches & Teacher Leaders
- Classroom Teachers & Interventionists
- $595 + cost of the required Writing Minilessons Book in one grade level (K, 1, 2, 3 or 4)
- $695 (includes Writing Minilessons)
- Literacy Collaborative Affiliation Discount available
Learn how to use The Writing Minilessons Book by Irene Fountas & Gay Su Pinnell to deepen your children’s knowledge of writing and the writing process through short, explicit writing minilessons. Engage your students in inquiry that leads to discovery and understanding of essential principles students need as writers. You will gain knowledge and practical tools to teach writing using high quality mentor texts. Through engaging lessons and daily opportunities to apply new understandings, your children will discover the joy of communicating through writing and learn how to write with enthusiasm and confidence.
- Management of the Writer’s Workshop
- Elements of effective writing minilessons to teach for craft, conventions, and writing process
- Using mentor texts with students to support active, constructive learning
- The role of shared and interactive writing in developing children’s understandings of the writing process
- The importance of making books
- Building students’ stamina for writing
- Assessing and planning for instruction
- Teaching responsively linking the Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum to The Writing Minilessons Book
You are required to have your own copy of The Writing Minilessons Book for one grade level (Kindergarten, Grade 1, Grade 2, Grade 3 or Grades 4). Please visit the Requirements & Policies tab for details about this required text.
You will earn 12 professional development hours in this training.
You may choose to attend this training in-person at Lesley University or virtually in real time. Should any of the conditions change and it is determined the training will be offered virtually only, you will be notified as soon as possible. We recommend that you contact us before reserving travel and lodging.
If you choose to attend in-person, the training room will have Lesley University’s HyFlex Classroom Technology to support an engaging learning environment for in-person and virtual participants. If you have questions about in-person or virtual attendance, please email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu.
In-person participants are required to follow the Lesley safety protocols noted on the Requirements & Policies tab.
You must have individual access to one of the Writing Minilessons Books below and be able to use this book on your own during the two days of professional development.
- The Fountas & Pinnell Writing Minilessons Book for Kindergarten
- The Fountas & Pinnell Writing Minilessons Book for Grade 1
- The Fountas & Pinnell Writing Minilessons Book for Grade 2
- The Fountas & Pinnell Writing Minilessons Book for Grade 3
- The Fountas & Pinnell Writing Minilessons Book for Grade 4
Don’t have this book yet? You will have the option to purchase the book when you register for this training. If you choose to purchase the book on your own through Heinemann, click here. Email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu if you have questions.
Cancellation Deadline & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing two weeks before the start of the course to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email CRRLC@lesley.edu to cancel. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Registration Deadline & Shipping Policies
The registration portal closes two business days before the first day of training to allow the minimum amount of time to ship additional training materials (if applicable).
If you register within two weeks before the registration portal closes, you may incur additional fees for expedited shipping. You may still experience delays in receiving your materials.
Requirements for Participation
After the training, you will receive a certificate of attendance for your participation. To receive a complete certificate, participation during the specified times is required. Additional work may be assigned to meet the professional development hours.
At this point in time, participants who have opted to come to Lesley University for the in-person format of professional learning must be prepared to follow the University’s COVID-19 protocols before and during the event.
- You must be “up to date on vaccinations” as defined by the CDC.
- Refrain from coming to campus if you are feeling COVID-19 symptoms. If you are feeling sick, symptomatic, or test positive for COVID-19, please stay home and email CRRLC@lesley.edu to switch your registration to virtual.
- Masks are highly recommended indoors, but not required at this time. If there is a mask requirement for the event you are attending, our team will communicate this decision.
- Please read the Lesley University’s COVID-19 protocols are designed to protect the health and safety of our community.
With Your Colleagues Option
We can deliver this training to your school/district. This option can be delivered virtually or in-person for a group within your school/district (as COVID-19 social distancing guidelines allow).
Fees & Policies
- Fees are determined by the number of participants and the duration of training.
- If applicable, travel expenses for each trainer (airfare, hotel, meals, and rental car) are an additional cost to be paid by the district.
- Professional development sessions that require extensive travel or overnight stays (if applicable) may incur an additional surcharge.
- If the number of participants exceeds the maximum, another trainer may be needed. This will increase training costs and travel expenses.
- Unless otherwise noted, fees do not include the cost of any required books or materials. The faculty trainer will consult with the district to select books based on the topics and the district’s needs.
- School districts in the same geographic area participating in the same training may combine their resources to meet participant minimums. Payment must be on one district’s purchase order.
For detailed costs, complete our online form to request this training for your school/district and we will contact you.