- This event has passed.
June 28, 2021 @ 9:00 am – June 29, 2021 @ 3:30 pm
Teaching for Accelerated Literacy Learning in Small Groups
Ensure equitable outcomes for all students through responsive teaching that accelerates learning.
This 2-day training is designed for all teachers who work with grades K-3 students in small group and classroom settings (students reading text levels A-N).
- Classroom Teachers, Interventionists & Specialists
- Literacy Coaches & Teacher Leaders
- Includes professional text (When Readers Struggle: Teaching That Works)
- Literacy Collaborative Affiliation Discount available
Because of the COVID pandemic, many children have missed the opportunity for consistency and coherence in literacy instruction and will benefit from your expertise in teaching that helps them make faster progress.
In this 2-day intensive institute, you will learn how to develop student competencies in phonics, fluency, comprehension and independence in reading. You will deepen your expertise for: selecting and analyzing texts; designing powerful introductions; and teaching for strategic actions. Special attention will be given to supporting English learners and a lesson structure for accelerating learning will be shared.
- The role of effective and efficient phonics
- The 12 systems of strategic actions that lead readers to comprehending and fluency
- Observing, analyzing, and teaching readers
- Text selection to meet the needs of your learners
- Powerful book introductions
- The role of independent reading in accelerating learning
- Key features in designing effective small group lessons
- Working successfully with English learners
This 2-day institute will be facilitated by Center for Reading Recovery & Literacy Collaborative Faculty with guest speaker, Irene Fountas.
You’ll earn 12 professional development hours in this training.
Cancellation Deadline & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing two weeks before the start of the course to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email CRRLC@lesley.edu to cancel. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute at any time. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Registration Deadline & Shipping Policies
The registration portal closes two business days before the first day of training to allow the minimum amount of time to ship training materials.
Requirements for Participation
After the training, you will receive a certificate of attendance for your participation. To receive a complete certificate, participation during the specified times is required. Additional work may be assigned to meet the professional development hours.
With Your Colleagues Option
This option can be delivered virtually or in-person for a group within your school/district (as COVID-19 social distancing guidelines allow)
Fees & Policies
- Fees are determined by the number of participants and the duration of training.
- If applicable, travel expenses for each trainer (airfare, hotel, meals, and rental car) are an additional cost to be paid by the district.
- Professional development sessions that require extensive travel or overnight stays (if applicable) may incur an additional surcharge.
- If the number of participants exceeds the maximum, another trainer may be needed. This will increase training costs and travel expenses.
- Unless otherwise noted, fees do not include the cost of any required books or materials. The faculty trainer will consult with the district to select books based on the topics and the district’s needs.
- School districts in the same geographic area participating in the same training may combine their resources to meet participant minimums. Payment must be on one district’s purchase order.
For detailed costs, complete our online form to request this training for your school/district and we will contact you.