- This event has passed.
August 15, 2023 @ 9:00 am – August 17, 2023 @ 3:30 pm
Leveled Literacy Intervention in Grades K-2
Support readers and writers to make and sustain accelerated literacy progress.
In this 6-day training, learn how to teach high-quality small-group, supplementary literacy intervention for accelerated literacy learning for students in grades K–2.
Register to participate in-person at Lesley University or virtually!
- Classroom Teachers & Interventionists
- Literacy Collaborative Affiliation Discount available
- Additional fees for graduate credit
Gain an understanding of the Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) system and how you can use it to improve students’ literacy and learning.
This 6-day training is designed for teachers who are using Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI), a research based program that has strong evidence in improving outcomes for a variety of subgroups in need of extra literacy support. Using high quality books, writing about reading, and explicit systematic phonics, teachers learn how to support students in making accelerated reading progress to reach grade level goals.
In this training, you’ll learn how to use LLI for students in grades K–2.
- Assessing and grouping students
- Using leveled texts
- Supporting English language learners
- Coding, scoring, and analyzing reading behaviors
- Teaching and reinforcing reading and writing strategies
- Supporting writing development
- Teaching phonemic awareness and phonics
You’ll earn 36 professional development hours upon completion of this training, or you could take it for 3 graduate credits.
Looking for Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) in Grades 3-8? Click here.
Heather Rodman, Literacy Trainer
Prior to joining the Center for Reading Recovery and Literacy Collaborative as a Primary Trainer, Heather was a Kindergarten, first, second, third, and fourth grade classroom teacher in Middletown, CT for 16 years. She was also a Primary Literacy Coordinator for five years where she provided literacy training and coaching to K-5 teachers. In addition, she was a member of the Connecticut Department of Education Common Core State Standards Curriculum Design Team for English Language Arts.
You may choose to attend this training in-person at Lesley University or virtually in real time. Should any of the conditions change and it is determined the training will be offered virtually only, you will be notified as soon as possible. We recommend that you contact us before reserving travel and lodging.
If you choose to attend in-person, the training room will have Lesley University’s HyFlex Classroom Technology to support an engaging learning environment for in-person and virtual participants. If you have questions about in-person or virtual attendance, please email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu.
In-person participants are required to follow the Lesley safety protocols noted on the Policies & Graduate Credit tab.
You must be able to have access to the LLI Primary Systems (Text Levels A–N/Orange, Green, or Blue) and be able to use these materials to teach students.
You must have access to:
- LLI System Guide (2nd Edition) or LLI Program Guide (1st Edition) in one grade level (Orange, Green, or Blue)
- When Reader’s Struggle: Teaching That Works, by Irene Fountas & Gay Su Pinnell
- LLI online resources to the corresponding grade level
- Either version of The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum:
- Fountas, I.C. & Pinnell, G.S. (2022). The Fountas & Pinnell literacy continuum: A tool for assessment, planning, and teaching, grades prek-8, second edition. Heinemann.
- Fountas, I.C. & Pinnell, G.S. (2016). The Fountas & Pinnell literacy continuum: A tool for assessment, planning, and teaching, grades prek-8, expanded edition. Heinemann.
To learn more or purchase the LLI Primary Systems (Orange, Green, or Blue), click here.
Email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu if you do not have access to all of these materials.
Cancellation Deadline & Refund Policies
You must cancel your registration no later than two weeks before the first day of training to get a full refund. If you cancel your registration within the two weeks prior to the first day of training, you will be charged a $50 processing fee. Email CRRLC@lesley.edu if you have a cancellation or substitution request. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Registration Deadline & Shipping Policies
The registration portal closes two business days before the first day of training to allow the minimum amount of time to ship additional training materials (if applicable).
If you register within two weeks before the registration portal closes, you may incur additional fees for expedited shipping. You may still experience delays in receiving your materials.
Requirements for Participation
After the training, you will receive a certificate of attendance for your participation. To receive a complete certificate, participation during the specified times is required. Additional work may be assigned to meet the professional development hours.
At this point in time, participants who have opted to come to Lesley University for the in-person format of professional learning must be prepared to follow the University’s COVID-19 protocols before and during the event.
- You must be “up to date on vaccinations” as defined by the CDC.
- Refrain from coming to campus if you are feeling COVID-19 symptoms. If you are feeling sick, symptomatic, or test positive for COVID-19, please stay home and email CRRLC@lesley.edu to switch your registration to virtual.
- Masks are highly recommended indoors, but not required at this time. If there is a mask requirement for the event you are attending, our team will communicate this decision.
- Please read the Lesley University’s COVID-19 protocols are designed to protect the health and safety of our community.
Graduate Credit Option
With additional assignments and fees, this course can be taken for 3 or 6 graduate credits. Contact CRRLC@lesley.edu to register for credit.
- 3 graduate credits: $4,275 ($1,950 + $750*/credit + $25*/credit comprehensive fee) + required LLI system
- Course number: EEDUC 6161
With Your Colleagues Option
We can deliver the Leveled Literacy Intervention (K-2) training to your school/district. This option can be delivered virtually or in-person for a group within your school/district.
Fees & Policies
- Fees are determined by the number of participants and the duration of training.
- If applicable, travel expenses for each trainer (airfare, hotel, meals, and rental car) are an additional cost to be paid by the district.
- Professional development sessions that require extensive travel or overnight stays (if applicable) may incur an additional surcharge.
- If the number of participants exceeds the maximum, another trainer may be needed. This will increase training costs and travel expenses.
- Unless otherwise noted, fees do not include the cost of any required books or materials. The faculty trainer will consult with the district to select books based on the topics and the district’s needs.
- School districts in the same geographic area participating in the same training may combine their resources to meet participant minimums. Payment must be on one district’s purchase order.
For detailed costs, complete our online form to request this training for your school/district and we will contact you.
Interested in professional learning at your school or district? Schedule a meeting with one of our faculty trainers.
“I thought this was well thought out and a great training. I appreciate speaking to peers in other districts and having the days split up. That way we can use what we’ve learned, implement, and come back and reflect and learn more. “Kathryn R., Classroom Teacher, Hopkinton Public Schools, MA
“I liked the pacing, organization, and the sample lessons. I am relatively new to LLI and feel I came away with a much deeper understanding of the program. I am looking forward to implementing many of the writing strategies and hopefully, making my lessons much more efficient.”Mary M., Interventionist, Monomoy Regional School District, MA
“I really appreciated how responsive the training was. [The instructor] was so knowledgeable and was able to respond in depth about questions or concerns that came up throughout the training.”Breanne V., Special Education Teacher, Middleborough Public Schools, MA