July 11 @ 9:00 am – September 4 @ 3:30 pm
Intentional Teaching in a Readers’ Workshop for Grades 3-8
Use the readers’ workshop to develop and empower independent readers.
In this 8-week online graduate course for grades 3-8 teachers, learn the purpose, organization, and process of a readers’ workshop.
- Classroom Teachers, Interventionists, & Specialists
- Literacy Coaches & Teacher Leaders
- Course Number: EEDUC 6168.80
- Fees are subject to change
In the readers’ workshop model, students read a variety of books independently or in small groups, with teacher guidance.
The goal is for students to have extended time to learn effective reading strategies that they can apply to both fiction and nonfiction texts.
In this 8-week online graduate course, learn how the framework of the readers’ workshop supports the development of the reading process in individual students grades 3-8. We’ll also discuss how it contributes to the development of a community of learners among students and a culture of learning within the classroom. We’ll give attention to supporting students who have difficulty with the reading process, and readers whose primary language is not English.
You are responsible for purchasing/having access to the following professional texts for this course:
- Fountas, I.C. & Pinnell, G.S. (2001). Guiding readers and writers: Teaching comprehension, genre, and content literacy. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Fountas, I.C. & Pinnell, G.S. (2016). The Fountas and Pinnell literacy continuum, expanded edition: A tool for assessment, planning, and teaching, preK-8. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Fountas, I.C. & Pinnell, G.S. (2011). Reader’s notebook: Advanced. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Fountas, I.C. & Pinnell, G.S. (2006). Teaching for comprehending and fluency: Thinking, talking, and writing about reading, k-8. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
This option must be taken for 3 graduate credits. Take the course individually or as an elective in our 18-credit Online Graduate Certificate in Developing Literacy Expertise Through Responsive Classroom Teaching.