- This event has passed.
June 24, 2021 @ 9:00 am – June 25, 2021 @ 3:30 pm
Introduction to Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™
Lead your students to a literate, successful life.
This 2-day training introduces a system for teaching students that creates authentic experiences in reading, thinking, talking, writing, and reflecting in all classroom settings.
- Classroom Teachers, Interventionists & Specialists
- Literacy Coaches & Teacher Leaders
- District & School Leaders
- Includes professional text (Literacy Quick Guide)
- Literacy Collaborative Affiliation Discount available
The Fountas and Pinnell Classroom™ is a system of providing literacy instruction to students by using a variety of texts and approaches. Developed by Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell, this system is rich with texts, lessons, and professional tools that will transform your approach to literacy instruction.
This 2-day training is designed for individuals and teams of teachers, literacy specialists and school leaders PreK-6 who plan to or are presently implementing Fountas and Pinnell Classroom™, including virtual and socially-distanced classrooms.
Expand student learning beyond the classroom. Learn how to teach your students in whole group, small group, and independent contexts using methods that include:
- Interactive Read-Aloud
- Reading Minilessons
- Shared Reading
- Phonics, Spelling, and Word Study
- Guided Reading
- Book Clubs
- Independent Reading
You’ll earn 12 professional development hours in this training.
Courtney Varner, Literacy Trainer
Courtney has a B.S. in Economics from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and earned a Masters in ElementaryEducation from George Mason University. Her educational career started in Fairfax County Public Schools, VA where she had 8 years of experience working in Title 1 schools. She taught in 1st and 2nd grade and served as a Reading Recovery teacher. In addition, Courtney was a Literacy Collaborative trained literacy coach for the intermediate grades.
Cancellation Deadline & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing two weeks before the start of the course to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email CRRLC@lesley.edu to cancel. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute at any time. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Registration Deadline & Shipping Policies
The registration portal closes two business days before the first day of training to allow the minimum amount of time to ship training materials.
Requirements for Participation
After the training, you will receive a certificate of attendance for your participation. To receive a complete certificate, participation during the specified times is required. Additional work may be assigned to meet the professional development hours.
With Your Colleagues Option
We can tailor the professional learning on the Fountas & Pinnell Classroom™ system to your needs. It can include a combination of interactive read-aloud, reading mini-lessons, shared reading, guided reading, independent reading, word study lessons, and book clubs. Your school team will develop shared understandings and learn to integrate responsive teaching into practice through hands-on learning experiences.
This option can be delivered virtually or in-person for a group within your school/district (as COVID-19 social distancing guidelines allow)
Fees & Policies
- Fees are determined by the number of participants and the duration of training.
- If applicable, travel expenses for each trainer (airfare, hotel, meals, and rental car) are an additional cost to be paid by the district.
- Professional development sessions that require extensive travel or overnight stays (if applicable) may incur an additional surcharge.
- If the number of participants exceeds the maximum, another trainer may be needed. This will increase training costs and travel expenses.
- Unless otherwise noted, fees do not include the cost of any required books or materials. The faculty trainer will consult with the district to select books based on the topics and the district’s needs.
- School districts in the same geographic area participating in the same training may combine their resources to meet participant minimums. Payment must be on one district’s purchase order.
For detailed costs, complete our online form to request this training for your school/district and we will contact you.
Interested in professional learning at your school or district? Schedule a meeting with one of our faculty trainers.
“Thank you for sharing your knowledge in a practical way. The focus on what’s purposeful and makes the most sense for readers in a classroom setting is invigorating.”Nicole Pepe, Literacy Coach, Sayreville Public Schools, New Jersey