- This event has passed.
March 21, 2023 @ 9:00 am – March 22, 2023 @ 3:30 pm
Playing with Sounds, Letters, and Words in PreK: Building a Foundation for Success
Plan for systematic learning opportunities that link the joy of language to reading and writing.
In this 2-day institute for early literacy educators, learn how to bring playful engagement with sounds, letters, and words to young children who are beginning to explore how words work.
Register to participate in-person at Lesley University or virtually!
- Classroom Teachers & Interventionists
- Literacy Collaborative Affiliation Discount available
This two-day institute will offer ways to bring playful engagement with sounds, letters, and words to young children who are beginning to explore how words work.
Participants can expect an in-depth look at early literacy concepts, phonemic awareness, and linking sounds to letters as well as how to plan for systematic learning opportunities that link the joy of language to a strong foundation for reading and writing.
- The power of observation and assessment in early childhood classrooms
- Learning about early print concepts
- Letters, words, and how print works
- Learning about sounds
- Learning about letters
- Beginning to link sounds and letters
- Planning for engaging, hands-on learning opportunities
Registration includes a copy of Fountas & Pinnell Sounds, Letters, and Words in PreK.
You’ll earn 12 professional development hours in this training.
Gen Arcovio, Literacy Trainer
Gen worked as a literacy specialist and teacher in public schools for many years before joining the Center for Reading Recovery and Literacy Collaborative as a Literacy Trainer. She has experience as a Reading Recovery teacher, classroom teacher, interventionist, and literacy coach. Over the years, she has worked with many students, educators, and administrators in the area of literacy acquisition and learning.
Heather Rodman, Literacy Trainer
Prior to joining the Center for Reading Recovery and Literacy Collaborative as a Primary Trainer, Heather was a Kindergarten, first, second, third, and fourth grade classroom teacher in Middletown, CT for 16 years. She was also a Primary Literacy Coordinator for five years where she provided literacy training and coaching to K-5 teachers. In addition, she was a member of the Connecticut Department of Education Common Core State Standards Curriculum Design Team for English Language Arts.
COVID-19 Protocols for In-Person Attendees
In-person training is available to a limited number of participants and you may choose that option. Should any of the conditions change and it is determined the training can be offered online only, you will be notified as soon as possible.
At this point in time, participants who have opted to come to Lesley University for the in-person format of professional learning must be prepared to follow the University’s COVID-19 protocols before and during the event.
- You must be “up to date on vaccinations” as defined by the CDC.
- You must submit a COVID Self-Assessment Visitor Form no more than 48 hours before each time you arrive on-campus.
- Lesley University no longer requires that participants submit a negative PCR result before attending an on-campus event. If possible, complete a rapid test before coming to campus. If you are feeling sick or symptomatic, please stay home and email CRRLC@lesley.edu to switch your registration to virtual.
- Masks are highly recommended indoors, but not required.
- Lesley University’s COVID-19 protocols are designed to protect the health and safety of our community.
Cancellation Deadline & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing two weeks before the start of the course to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email CRRLC@lesley.edu to cancel. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Registration Deadline & Shipping Policies
The registration portal closes two business days before the first day of training to allow the minimum amount of time to ship additional training materials (if applicable).
If you register within two weeks before the registration portal closes, you may incur additional fees for expedited shipping. You may still experience delays in receiving your materials.
Requirements for Participation
After the training, you will receive a certificate of attendance for your participation. To receive a complete certificate, participation during the specified times is required. Additional work may be assigned to meet the professional development hours.