- This event has passed.
July 1, 2020 @ 9:00 am – 3:30 pm
Reading Recovery Teacher Leader Cohort
Lesley University is a University Training Center for Reading Recovery, a school-based intervention program for first-grade students who are struggling with reading and writing.
- Literacy Coaches & Teacher Leaders
- Classroom Teachers, Interventionists & Specialists
Our Center trains Reading Recovery Teacher Leaders, who in turn train and support Reading Recovery Teachers at various regional training sites.
For the 2020-21 academic year, Lesley University will offer Reading Recovery Teacher Leader training to educators from school
districts that would like to become a regional teacher training site or sites that would like to add or replace current teacher leader(s).
Read more about Reading Recovery here or contact us to start a conversation.
Reading Recovery Teacher Leader
Training Dates & Details
Due to COVID-19 and social distancing guidelines, the summer and fall term dates will be delivered virtually, in real time. Spring term TBD.
Intensive Summer Institute on Observation Survey at Lesley University
- August 24-27, 2020
Face-to-Face Meeting Times at Lesley University for Fall Term (September 6-December 20, 2020)
September 23-25, 2020
October 14-16, 2020
November 18-20, 2020
December 9-11, 2020
Face-to-Face Meeting Times at Lesley University for Spring Term (January 2-May 8, 2021)
January 13-15, 2021
February 10-12, 2021
March 10-12, 2021
April 14-16, 2021
May 12-14, 2021
Other key dates:
Deadline for application submission: July 1, 2020
Interviews will be held: July 2020
Notification of acceptance: July/August 2020
Teacher Leader Intensive Training
- Enroll in a four-day program (2 credits) in August for training in the Observation Survey. Enroll in three courses (a total of 16 credits) at Lesley University Graduate School, Cambridge, MA. One course will be clinically-oriented; the second will focus on necessary background theory in reading, and the third will be a leadership seminar which provides skills for training other teachers and for implementing Reading Recovery. In addition, teacher leaders-in-training will complete a Supervision Practicum which consists of extensive fieldwork with experienced teacher leaders at assigned sites.
Technology: Candidates for teacher leader training are encouraged to purchase/obtain the necessary technology (i.e., digital camera, etc.) to video tape lessons regularly in order to share lessons with the training class. Teacher leader class participants will use the myLesley system for posting of assignments, posting of grades, submission of assignments and general course correspondence and information. Faculty may pilot the use of Skype on occasion for occasional online sessions if appropriate in 2020-21.
- Work individually with four Reading Recovery children daily. The teacher leader-in-training can be expected to serve eight children during the year.
- Make arrangements to bring to the university site and teach for her/his peers one Reading Recovery child in front of a one-way window (up to six times per year).
- Lead a seminar of teachers to learn the techniques of a teacher trainer. Teacher leaders will be supervised and their performances will be evaluated and discussed.
- Perform arranged internship functions designed to help the candidate explore the full role of the teacher leader.
- Collect and maintain data on children for site, state and national program evaluation.
- Attend the Literacy for All Conference and Reading Recovery Institute held yearly in October or November (in a Northeast state).
- Attend a four-day institute for trained teacher leaders held yearly in June or July (national event).
For full details, download the Reading Recovery Teacher Leader application for the 2020-21 cohort.