- This event has passed.
September 21, 2022 @ 9:00 am – September 23, 2022 @ 3:30 pm
Leveled Literacy Intervention in Grades 3-8
Be instrumental in accelerating literacy gains for low-achieving students.
In this 6-day training, learn how to teach small-group, supplementary literacy intervention to accelerate literacy learning for the lowest-achieving students in grades 3-8.
Register to participate in-person at Lesley University or virtually!
- Classroom Teachers, Interventionists & Specialists
- Literacy Collaborative Affiliation Discount available
- Additional fees for graduate credit
Gain an understanding of the Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) system and how you can use it to improve students’ literacy and learning.
The Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) system, developed by Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell, prepares teachers to provide intensive instruction to small groups of struggling readers and writers. In this training, you’ll learn how to use LLI for students in the intermediate, middle, and upper grades.
Learn about procedures and rationales for lessons that engage students and improve reading proficiency. Discover ways to help students read increasingly challenging texts. Gain an understanding of the systems and how to use three types of lessons—standard, novel, and test preparation—to support students’ development.
- Assessing and grouping students; using progress monitoring across lessons
- Understanding the odd and even standard lesson framework
- Understanding fiction and nonfiction texts and analyzing text characteristics
- Teaching for vocabulary development, fluency, and understanding
- Teaching for word study and writing about reading
- Using test preparation lessons and engaging students in the novel study lesson sequence
You’ll earn 36 professional development hours upon completion of this training, or you could take it for 3 graduate credits.
Please visit the Requirements, Policies & Graduate Credit tab for the professional texts you are responsible for having access to for this course.
Looking for Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) in Grades K-2? Click here.
COVID-19 Protocols for In-Person Attendees
- You must be must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- You must submit a COVID Self-Assessment Visitor Form (click for form) no more than 48 hours before the first day of training. Please note, this form must be submitted before each new visit to campus.
- Lesley University no longer requires that participants submit a negative PCR result before attending an on-campus event. If possible, please complete a rapid test before coming to campus.
- If you are feeling sick or symptomatic, please stay home and email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu to switch your registration to virtual.
- Masks are recommended indoors, but not required.
- Adhere to Lesley University’s COVID-19 protocols (click for more information).
Email us at CRRLC@lesley.edu if you have questions.
You must be able to have access to the LLI Intermediate Systems (Text Levels L–W/Red, Gold or Purple) and be able to use these materials to teach students.
You must have access to:
- LLI System Guide in one grade level (Red, Gold or Purple)
- The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum, Expanded Edition, by Irene Fountas & Gay Su Pinnell
- LLI online resources to the corresponding grade level
To learn more or purchase the LLI Intermediate Systems (Red, Gold or Purple), click here.
Cancellation Deadline & Refund Policies
You must cancel in writing two weeks before the start of the course to get a refund, minus a $50 processing fee. Email CRRLC@lesley.edu to cancel. If you are unable to attend, you may send a substitute at any time. Regardless of weather conditions, if the event is held but you cannot attend, you will be billed for the full amount.
Review the university’s cancellation and refund policies for credit bearing courses.
Requirements for Participation
After the training, you will receive a certificate of attendance for your participation. To receive a complete certificate, participation during the specified times is required. Additional work may be assigned to meet the professional development hours.
Graduate Credit Option
With additional assignments and fees, this course can be taken for 3 or 6 graduate credits. Contact CRRLC@lesley.edu to register for credit.
- $3,940 ($1,950 + $650/credit + $40 registration fee) + required LLI system
- Course number: EEDUC 6161
With Your Colleagues Option
We can deliver the Leveled Literacy Intervention (3-8) training to your school/district. This option can be delivered virtually or in-person for a group within your school/district.
Fees & Policies
- Fees are determined by the number of participants and the duration of training.
- If applicable, travel expenses for each trainer (airfare, hotel, meals, and rental car) are an additional cost to be paid by the district.
- Professional development sessions that require extensive travel or overnight stays (if applicable) may incur an additional surcharge.
- If the number of participants exceeds the maximum, another trainer may be needed. This will increase training costs and travel expenses.
- Unless otherwise noted, fees do not include the cost of any required books or materials. The faculty trainer will consult with the district to select books based on the topics and the district’s needs.
- School districts in the same geographic area participating in the same training may combine their resources to meet participant minimums. Payment must be on one district’s purchase order.
For detailed costs, complete our online form to request this training for your school/district and we will contact you.
Interested in professional learning at your school or district? Schedule a meeting with one of our faculty trainers.
“I learned about parts of the Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) system that I didn’t know about. Without this professional learning, I wouldn’t have found time to learn as much as I did in these sessions.”Cassandra Riches, Interventionist/Specialist, Stoney Education Authority, Canada