January 25, 2021 @ 9:00 am – March 21, 2021 @ 3:30 pm
Elevating Literacy Expertise Through Coaching
Develop your knowledge of the content and practices of effective literacy teaching.
In this 8-week online graduate course for literacy coaches, teacher leaders, and school administrators, learn about reading and writing processes to support your colleagues’ professional learning.
- Literacy Coaches & Teacher Leaders
- Course Number: EEDUC 6404.80
- Fees are subject to change
Schools improve when administrators support teachers’ professional learning. This online course is for literacy coaches, teacher leaders, and administrators who want to understand the link between coaching and teacher professional development. We’ll discuss how to use The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum, and other resources, to help you improve literacy teaching and learning in your school. We’ll also evaluate different models of content-based coaching, including collaborative coaching and intervention.
By enrolling in an online graduate course, you have the flexibility to learn at your own pace with the support of a virtual community and have access to a variety of educational resources and materials at your convenience.
- Use professional resources and observational tools to sharpen the analysis of the teaching of reading and writing
- Design an effective coaching session with a teacher: pre-lesson conference, classroom visit, and post-conference/coaching session to support the teaching of reading and writing
- Select particular kinds of coaching to meet the needs of specific teachers: intervention, cluster coaching, as well as individual coaching sessions
- Employ generative coaching to support teacher independence
- Use language that opens conversation and promotes the analysis of teaching and its effects on learning
- Link coaching sessions to professional development
You are responsible for purchasing/having access to the following professional texts for this course:
- Fountas, I.C. and Pinnell, G.S. (2016). The Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Continuum, Expanded Edition: A Tool for Assessment, Planning, and Teaching, PreK-8. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Fountas, I.C. and Pinnell, G.S. (2018). The Literacy Quick Guide. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Fountas, I.C. and Pinnell, G.S. (2017). Prompting Guide, Part 1, for Oral Reading and Early Writing. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Fountas, I.C. and Pinnell, G.S. (2017). Prompting Guide, Part 2, for Comprehension: Thinking, Talking, and Writing. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
This option must be taken for 3 graduate credits. Take the course individually or as a required course in our 12-credit Online Graduate Certificate in Literacy Coaching and Teacher Leadership.